JCI Malta is proud to announce one of its biggest debating competitions to date: The National Debating Competition!
Following the success of the Debate Society League, JCI Malta wanted to take this competition based in University to a national level. This means that anyone between the ages of 18 and 40 can put together a debating team and participate in our competition. And don’t worry, if you do not have a team, you can still apply as an individual and JCI Malta will help you put together your own kick-ass team.
And you know what the best part is? The winning team will get to attend the JCI European Conference in Bucharest, Romania and compete on a European level in the name of JCI Malta.
Do I need to be an experienced debater to participate?
Absolutely not! The only requirement to participate in this competition is the will to learn how to become a top-notch debater. And you know what they say, when there is a will, there is a way!
What does debating in a JCI setting mean?
- Teams need to be composed of 3 individual speakers, which will be referred to as: Team Captain, First Speaker, and Second Speaker.
- Each debate topic will be assigned a Government Team and an Opposition Team. The Government would debate for the motion, while the Opposition would debate against it.
Will you teach me how to debate?
JCI and JCI Malta are all about developing young people into future leaders, and that means we give you learning opportunities to sharpen up your skills. Therefore, the answer to your question is a definite yes. Leading up to the competition, JCI Malta will be running 2 different sessions that will help you and your team become better debaters.
- Debating 101: In order to debate in a JCI setting you need to learn the rules that come with it. JCI Malta Senators and Local Presidents Nicole Borg and Rachel Cassar will be running a training on the JCI debating rules, how to define a motion, and what the different roles within the teams of 3 entail. This training is compulsory for all competing teams.
Date: 7th February, 2023
Venue: The Leadership Hub, Sliema
Time: 7pm – 9pm
- Friendly Debating: Now that you have grasped your debating skills and your team is equipped to take over the debating world, you will get to practice in a Friendly Debating session. Here you can put your skills to test, get professional feedback and work on some last refinements for your team just before the competition!
Date: 18th February, 2023
Time: 9am – 2pm
- National Debating Competition: You’re prepped and ready to take the JCI Malta National Debating Competition by storm and become the 2023 JCI Malta Champions. The winning team will be automatically selected to represent Malta in Bucharest, Romania during the European Debating Championship.
Date: 25th February, 2023
Time: 9am – 2pm
Are you in it to win it? Sign your team up today!
This project has been funded through the Voluntary Organisations Project Scheme managed by the Malta Council for the Voluntary Sector supported by the Ministry for Inclusion, Voluntary Organisations and Consumer Rights (MIVC).